If you think you've been scammed, CALL NOW! Oahu: 808-586-7281, Toll Free: 1-800-296-9422

July 14 Caregiving Web Series | SMP Hawaii 2022 Volunteer Recognition and Training

It Takes Our Entire State to Protect Kupuna. Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP) Hawaii invites you to celebrate our 25th anniversary of protecting kupuna. We will recognize our Volunteers who support the SMP mission by helping people through one-on-one counseling and outreach; welcome local and national experts from business, government and law enforcement with updates on current frauds and scams, and learn useful tips to protect our money, legacy and dignity.

Beyond the Silver Needle: Stronger Together for a Safer Hawaii

SMP Hawaii 2022 Volunteer Recognition and Training
10:00 am – Noon Thursday, July 14, 2022

Registration Link
https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJMtce-spzgoHtM4sglANWgzd8iIeaIJBvz9
Confirmation email will also be sent with the link to join

GUEST PRESENTERS

Roseann Freitas, Public Relations & Communications Manager
Better Business Bureau Great West + Pacific
The Psychology of Fraud
According to the Federal Trade Commission, U.S. consumers reported $3.3 billion in fraud losses last year. Understanding the tactics con artists use to take advantage of consumers is the most effective way to avoid becoming a victim. Learn about the current riskiest types of fraud; understand how con artists use emotions against us; list the 5 red flags of investment fraud; and identify top practices for protecting your money. Roseann Freitas has over 25 years of experience in public relations,
communication, marketing, and consumer outreach. Roseann serves on various boards and committees, including Executive Women International, National Kitchen & Bath Association, and the Building Industry Association. Roseann has a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a concentration in Accounting from Mount Olive College in North Carolina. She is a faculty member for Executive Women International’s Academy of Leadership (AOL) and a Voices of the Industry presenter for the National Kitchen and Bath Association.

Sandy Morales, Outreach Specialist and Case Manager
California – Senior Medicare Patrol

Brace Yourself: Going After Hospice & Other Money-Making Schemes

Scammers will stop at nothing, including exploiting care designed to help needing orthotic devices to hospice care. Sandy Morales has been with the California-Senior Medicare Patrol (CA-SMP) for over 9 years, bringing full-time community organizing and outreach experience. While completing a B.A. in Legal Studies from the University of California, Berkeley, Sandy worked with Berkeley Organizing Congregations for Action (BOCA), where she trained people to become leaders of their own
communities in education, healthcare access, housing and more. SMP named Sandy with distinction for her work in counseling, specifically with cases requiring in-depth research. Her presentation will also include a checklist to assist SMP Hawaii counselors to find success with resolving what’s known as complex cases.

AJ Monaco, Special Agent in Charge
Social Security Administration, Office of the Inspector General
Social Security Scam Awareness
Anthony J. (“AJ”) Monaco currently serves as the Special Agent in Charge of the Major Case Unit at the Social Security Administration (SSA) Office of the Inspector General (OIG). His unit investigates complex fraud cases, with a particular emphasis on SSA imposter scams and other investigations of strategic interest to the OIG. AJ has also served as the Special Agent in Charge of the Sensitive Investigations Office, USDA OIG, and as a Senior Special Agent, Deputy Director and Director at the Homeland Security
OIG, investigating whistleblower reprisal, national security issues, public corruption, and other sensitive matters. AJ began his law enforcement career with the U.S. Secret Service in 2004, serving in various investigative and protective capacities as a field agent, and an instructor in the legal training section at Secret Service’s training center. Prior to his law enforcement career, AJ served as a combat engineer officer in the
U.S. Marine Corps. AJ holds a Bachelor of Science from the U.S. Naval Academy and a Juris Doctor from the Syracuse University College of Law.
Wayland Quon, Assistant Special Agent in Charge
Cooperative Disability Investigations
Wayland Quon is the Assistant Special Agent in Charge for the Social Security Administration, Office of the Inspector General, Cooperative Disability Investigations (CDI)Western Division. He began serving in that position since the division’s inceptionearlier this year. Wayland oversees the CDI offices in Honolulu and Los Angeles.
Previously, he served as the Resident Agent in Charge of the Los Angeles Office, whichincluded the Los Angeles CDI office, from 2010 to 2022. Wayland began his Federal service as a Claims Representative in the SSA, Hollywood, California Office in 1992. He joined SSA OIG as a Special Agent in 1996. He is a native Los Angeleno, married with one son in high school and has a B.S. Degree in Business Administration from the University of Southern California.

Receive News, Alerts & Updates via Email